Cañon de Colca, Peru (25 Mar 2007 - 26 Mar 2007)

I had really wanted to do a multiple day trek down into the canyon (and another trek in Cotahuasi Canyon), but, due to time constraints, I was forced into a (very touristy) 2-day tour. The only saving grace was the fact that I was the only English speaker in the tour group. It was all Peruvians except for two Italians, both of whom were named Paolo.

Vicunas grazing, overshadowed by El Misti.

Alpacas grazing.

Bosque de Piedras - Stone Forest.

The rock formation on the left resembles a giant frog.

Spectacular mountains 360 degrees around.

Spent the night in the quaint little town of Chivay.

We were treated to an Andean folk music show and traditional Andean dancing over a delicious meal of alpaca steak. I was so impressed with the music that I even purchased the group's CD - the first CD I've bought since high school!

Sun rising on the Andes above Chivay.

El Mismi, the source of the Amazon.

Colca Canyon - I have to admit that it was quite unimpressive. Although it is twice as deep as the Grand Canyon, it is less than half as breathtaking.

The most spectacular parts of the trip were the soaring Andean condors at the Cruz del Condor.

Paolo, Carla (our guide), Me, Paolo, Nanett, and Omar - My favorite people in the tour group.

No comments: