For your viewing pleasure, I have uploaded a helmet cam video of a proficiency rappel I did last year, which is the closest one will come to experiencing it short of actually doing it. Unfortunately, the camera was taped somewhat askew on my flight helmet, so you don't necessarily see all that I wanted you to see. Also, my cranial movements are a bit awkward, which means that you miss even more of what I was actually seeing. My attempts to look up and capture the bottom of the helicopter as I was descending proved to be futile. Even worse, the rappel itself is sloppy; my feet come off the skid unevenly, which is why I seem to be spinning so much. If you get dizzy watching the video, imagine how I must have felt!!!
All in all, however, it's not bad for my first helmet cam experience.
Credits:
First stick: Bryce S. and Chris B.
Second stick: Sean R. and Elysia E
Spotter: Seth W.
Pilot: Mark M.
Heli: 69H, a Bell 205++ w. ultra high skid gear

2 comments:
B-Rice - Glad to see you're back doing what you love and scaring the crap out of the acrophobe in all of us. Hope you get your share of hours over the season.
Take care bud
that's pretty f**king awesome
-Zack
Post a Comment