Perched high atop Cost Rica's continental divide and nestled between two spectacular cloud forests, lie the peaceful towns of Monteverde (a Quaker settlement) and Santa Elena. The biodiversity here is incredible. Costa Rica is home to 5% of the world's species, including more than 9,000 species of vascular plants; 1,500 species of orchids; 850 species of birds; 200 species of mammals; and 35,000 species of insects. Unfortunately, although much of that life resides in the cloud forest, I saw hardly any wildlife in the reserves. Luckily, the local Serpentario and Ranario provided much easier opportunities to see some of the wildlife.







Ranario (Frog Pond)





Finca Las BrisasSerpentario Monteverde
Costa Rica is home to over 130 different species of snakes. Many of these snakes are extremely poisonous, such as the bushmaster, coral snake, and the ever-so-deadly fer-de-lance (pit viper). These snakes are not to be played with. Costa Rica is also home to a variety of other reptiles, including the prehistoric-looking basilisk lizard and brightly-colored poison arrow frogs.







Ranario (Frog Pond)Over 133 different species of frogs may be found in Costa Rica, including poison arrow frogs, glass frogs, bullfrogs, and, of course, the infamous red-eyed tree frog.





A horseback ride through a coffee, banana, and sugar cane finca (plantation) proved to be a pleasant way to spend an afternoon. After the ride, I was treated to what was perhaps the best cup of coffee I have ever had the pleasure of drinking. Costa Rican coffee beans are highly prized, which should come as no surprise given the area's rich soil and ideal climate. On a side note, Costa Rica happens to be the exception to the rule that Central American countries generally export all of their high-quality coffee beans, leaving only the dregs for domestic consumption. Indeed, the best part about traveling in Costa Rica is the local joe--light, crisp, and brewed from locally grown Arabica beans (an executive order prohibits the cultivation of any other variety of coffee bean).


Canopy Tour
I had been told that the best canopy tours were in Monteverde (including the "original" canopy tour), so I purposefully waited until Monteverde to try out any ziplines. It was well worth the wait. The Extremo Canopy Tour consists of 16 platforms scattered through the jungle and connected by ziplines of varying lengths and speeds and a 30 meter "Tarzan" swing. The tour culminates with "The Superman," a zipline that rockets you across a 1 kilometer-long cable on a ride that I can only describe as the closest I have ever come to flying.
Here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qagp3Bn1OsQ

No comments:
Post a Comment