Ayutthaya, Thailand (18 Feb 2006)

Unfortunately, we only spent a day in Ayutthaya. I would have liked to have spent more time there, and am still considering a return trip later since it is only a couple hours north of Bangkok. The city is filled with ruins of temples and palaces that are thousands of years old. We spent the day riding old and broken-down bicycles around the city exploring its extensive ruins. I am sure that it will pale in comparison to Angkor Wat, but it was still incredible.

Wat Chaiwatthanaram at sunset - It is extremely frustrating trying to capture clear photographs because everywhere we have been has been blanketed with a smoky and polluted haze.

Wat Chaiwatthanaram - This temple is built in the Khmer style and is a small taste of what awaits me and Joe at Angkor Wat.

Wat Chaiwatthanaram

Wat Ratchanabura

Wat Mahathat - Our bikes don't appear too bad in this picture, but in reality they were terrible. Neither of our bikes had functioning brakes and Joe's chain would fall off if his speed exceeded 0.02 miles per hour.

Wat Phra Si Sanphet

What a pig...But you would be doing the same if you tasted the mouthwatering dishes served at Thai House Restaurant. This was by far the tastiest food both Joe and I have eaten in Thailand. We may have a biased opinion, however, since we rode around the city for hours searching for it (I also happened to be only a few minutes of riding away from collapsing from heat exhaustion).

There were plenty of other ruins scattered throughout the city, but they pretty much paled in comparison to the two that I posted pictures of.

No comments: