Bangkok, Thailand (15 Feb 2006 - 17 Feb 2006)

Staying in Bangkok is certainly a full body experience. Walking through the streets of Bangkok is the closest thing I have experienced to a complete sensory overload. The city boasts a plethora of piquant sounds, smells, sights, and tastes. The smell is probably the most overpowering of all. If you take a stroll through Bangkok, prepare yourself to be continuously assaulted by each and every one of Bangkok's odors - the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Unfortunately, I feel as if I only experienced Bangkok at its most superficial and artificial level. We stayed in a hostel right on Khaosan Road (KSR), which is where all of the international backpacker crowd hangs out. We visited most of the famous tourist attractions. We also got scammed like tourists. But Joe and I are slowly beginning to adjust to life on the road. I think that it will be quite different outside of Bangkok. We will be coming back to Bangkok two more times, so we will be able to experience more of what Bangkok has to offer in the future. We just need to keep our eyes open.


Khaosan Road - Love it or hate it, you have to see it. Don't expect to experience Thailand here. International backpackers outnumber Thais by at least 2 to 1 and the entire area is geared completely toward tourists.

Fort Phra Sumen

Democracy Monument

Standing Buddha at Wat Intharawihan. Standing 40 meters tall, I am pretty sure this is the tallest Buddha in the world.

Joe and the Lucky Buddha - Apparently, this "Lucky Buddha" is merely a tourist scam.

Joe outside Wat Benchamabophit - The Marble Temple - He thinks he owns the place...

Buddha inside Wat Benchamabophit

The Golden Mount
Those willing and able to climb the long and winding staircase to the top of the Golden Mount are rewarded with a splendid view of the city.

The Reclining Buddha at Wat Pho - Unfortunately, this picture is unable to capture the sheer immensity of the statue.

Ceramic Pagodas inside Wat Pho Complex - Wat Pho is also home to a massage school. I honestly limped in to get a foot reflexology massage. An hour later, I hovered out and it honestly felt as if I were walking on clouds. The money that Joe and I saved from walking instead of riding in tuk-tuks was dwarfed by the cost of the massage that my aching feet required. The massage was worth every baht though.

More ceramic pagodas inside Wat Pho complex- I felt as if I were in some sort of magical fairy-tale land.

Golden Chedi inside the Wat Phra Kaeo / Grand Palace complex

Wat inside the Wat Phra Kaeo / Grand Palace complex

Marble hallway outside of Wat Phra Kaeo (Temple of the Emerald Buddha - which is actually jade) - Those goofy looking pants are borrowed from the temple; you cannot enter the temple without long pants and, like all other tourists, I arrived in shorts).

Murals stretched for what seemed like miles around the Wat Phra Kaeo / Grand Palace complex.

A final note on the temples, especially Wat Phra Kaeo:

These temples are so spectacular that no picture(s) can truly capture their splendor. These are the most ostentatious displays of worship that I have ever seen, even when compared to the Catholic cathedrals in Europe. They are visually astounding and breathtaking to experience. I can only hope that a fraction of this can be transferred through this blog.

No comments: