It's That Time of the Year Again

Tomorrow I leave Boise and head up to Price Valley Guard Station, my new home for at least the next five months. I'll be fighting wildland fires in Idaho again this summer/fall, although this season it will be as a member of a Forest Service heli-rappel crew. I am extremely excited about this new challenge, and I feel very fortunate to have been hired on at PV. It sounds like the crew is great and the area typically experiences a high amount of fire activity. The Bell Super 205 is essentially the civilian version of the military Huey (as seen on the previous Hanoi and Saigon posts), and PV helibase is home to not one, but two of them. Helicopters that size should be coveted resources, so I'm very optimistic about fire time. I cut and pasted the following pictures from their website, but I'll try to snap a few of my own and post whenever possible.







2 comments:

Rog said...

Hey man, I'm 58% Austrian, how about you?

Anonymous said...

First you're shooting crazy machine guns in Cambodia and now you're fighting fires in Idaho. Your sense of adventure is something that I can only dream of.