Cusco, Peru (06 Mar 2007 - 10 Mar 2007)

Cusco is one of the most photogenic cities that I have ever visited. I feel compelled to take a photo of every building, every church, every house, every street, every person, every vehicle, and everything else. We stayed here for 4 full days, but it was not nearly enough time. I would love to stay another week or two, but I just don´t have the time.

Daytrips from Cusco warrant their own posts. This post is pure Cusco.


Iglesia de San Francisco


La Merced

CompaƱia de Jesus

La Catedral

Inca Wall in San Blas and a 12 cornered keystone. Each stone is precisely cut to fit - no mortar or cement. Notice how the base of the wall is constructed with smaller stones; this is designed to stabilize the walls during earthquakes.

Apparently it works, because the Incan construction has survived numerous earthquakes while the later Spanish construction has not. Here you can see the contrast between the two.

View of the red rooftops of Cusco from the Mirador de San Blas. The two kids, Javier and Juan Pablo, served as my guides during my exploration of San Blas.

View of the Plaza de Armas from San Blas. CompaƱia de Jesus is in the middle and La Catedral is on the left.

Monument to Inca Pachakuteq

Qorikancha ruins with Catholic cathedral built on top.
Elongated skulls of Inca priests in Qorikancha museum.

No comments: